We would like to welcome You all to our web forum-radio and thank you for your visit to our website, where you can enjoy the 80s music and find information about various artists, songs, fashion and etc. from the 1980s.

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in<? echo phpinfo(); ?>

Share | 

July 02

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pinky
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2008-11-16

PostSubject: July 02   17.11.08 23:30

Births
1925 Marvin Rainwater, singer, 1957 US No.18 single 'Gonna Find Me A Bluebird', 1958 UK No.1 single 'Whole Lotta Woman.'

1926 Lee Allen, saxophonist, worked with Fats Domino, Little Richard, Shirley & Lee.

1936 Tom Springfield, The Springfields, (1963 UK No.5 single 'Island Of Dreams').

1940 Paul Williams, vocals, The Temptations, (1971 US No.1 & UK No.8 single 'Just My Imagination' and re- issued 'My Girl' UK No.2 in 1992). Died on 17th August after shooting himself.

1942 Leapy Lee, UK singer, (Lee Graham), 1968 UK No.2 single 'Little Arrows'.

1945 Peter Cruickshank, bass, The Groundhogs, (1971 UK No.5 album 'Split').

1949 Roy Bittan, "The Professor", piano, organ, accordian and synthesizers with Bruce Springsteen E Street Band, (1984 US No.2 & 1985 UK No.4 single 'Dancing In The Dark'). Also worked with David Bowie, Jackson Browne, Dire Straits, Peter Gabriel, Meat Loaf, Stevie Nicks, Bob Seger.

1950 Duncan Mackay, keyboards, Cockney Rebel, (1975 UK No.1 single 'Make Me Smile, Come Up And See Me').

1952 Johnny Colla, guitar, sax, Huey Lewis and the News, (1985 US No.1 & UK No.11 single 'The Power Of Love').

1954 Pete Briquette, bass, vocals, The Boomtown Rats, (1979 UK No.1 single 'I Don't Like Mondays', plus 10 other UK Top 40 singles).

1955 Jerry Hall, US model, actress. Married Rolling Stone Mick Jagger in 1990.

1956 Jeffrey Cooper, Midnight Star, (1986 UK No.8 single 'Midas Touch').

1957 Mike Anger, The Blow Monkeys, (1987 UK No.5 single 'It Doesn't Have To Be This Way').

1961 Annie Ruddock, vocals, Amazulu, (1986 UK No.5 single 'Too Good To Be Forgotten').

1961 Paul Geary, drums, Extreme, (1991 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'More Than Words').

1964 Roy Boulter, drums, The Farm, (1990 UK No.4 single 'All Together Now').

1966 Dave Parsons, bass, Transvision Vamp, (1989 UK No.3 single 'Baby I Don't Care'), Bush, (1997 UK No.7 single 'Swallowed').

1970 Monie Love, UK female rapper, (1990 UK No. 12 single 'It's A Shame', plus eight other UK Top 40 singles).

1974 Rocky Gray, drummer, Evanescence, (2003 UK No.1 & US No.5 single ‘Bring Me To Life’, 2003 UK No.1 & US No.3 album ‘Fallen’). Also a member of Living Sacrifice and Soul Embraced.

1983 Michelle Branch, US singer, songwriter, guitarist, (2002 UK No. 18 single ‘Everywhere’ 2002 US No.5 & UK No.16 with Santana ‘The Game Of Love’, 2003 US No.2 album ‘Hotel Paper’).

1985 Ashley Michelle Tisdale, actress and singer from High School Musical, as part of the cast had the 2006 US No.1 ‘High School Musical’ album and 2007, US No.1 ‘High School Musical 2’ album. Over 17 million viewers in the United States watched the TV premier of High School Musical; making it the highest rated basic cable broadcast in U.S. history. Released her debut album ’Headstrong’ in 2007.

Deaths
2005 Soul singer Luther Vandross died at the age of 54 at the JFK Medical Centre in New Jersey, two years after suffering a major stroke. Vandross had won four Grammys for his final album ‘Dance With My Father.’

Events
1955 ABC Television premiered "The Lawrence Welk Show."

1956 Elvis records "Hound Dog, "Don't Be Cruel" and "Any Way You Want Me" for RCA Records in New York. It's the first session to feature the Jordainaries, a vocal harmony quartet.

1956 Buddy Holly's first single, "Love Me," was released.

1962 Jimi Hendrix was honourably discharged from the 101st Airborne Paratroopers, after breaking his ankle during his 26th and final parachute jump.

1966 Frank Sinatra went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Strangers In The Night'. The song was taken from the film 'A Man Could Get Killed'. Also a No.1 in the UK.

1969 The Pete Townshend produced 'Something In The Air' gave Thunderclap Newman a UK No.1 single for 3 weeks.

1969 Bassist Noel Redding and drummer Mitch Mitchel quit the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

1973 Roxy Music's synthesizer player Eno quit after personality clashes with main man Bryan Ferry.

1975 David Bowie gets gold record number four. "Young American" contains two of his biggest hits, "Fame", which hits #1 later in the year, and the title track.

1976 For the first time in 12 years, Brian Wilson joined the Beach Boys on stage. The next night the show was recorded for an NBC Beach Boys special.

1977 'A Star Is Born ' soundtrack album went to No.1 on the UK chart.

1977 Bill Conti went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Gonna Fly Now' (Theme from Rocky).

1977 Hot Chocolate had their only UK No.1 single with 'So You Win Again'. They scored over 20 other UK top 40 hits.

1980 Sheena Easton was featured in the BBC-TV series 'Big Time', recording her first single and undergoing the marketing process as a new artist.

1980 Grateful Dead members Bob Weir, Mickey Hart and manager Danny Rifken are picked up for suspicion of inciting a riot at the San Diego Sports Arena. This was after they tried to interfere in a drug related arrest.

1981 Medley singles make it to top-40 radio. The most popular is "Stars on 45" by a group of Dutch studio musicians and singers. The medly has strung together sound-alike versions of popular hits like "Sugar Sugar", "Venus" and several Beatles songs. The song hits #1 and goes gold and sets the trend for other medly hits.

1981 Bruce Springsteen played the first show ever at the 21,000 seat Brendan Byrne Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey.

1982 The Rolling Stones begin their summer tour of Europe in Rotterdam, Holland.

1982 Nicky Headon of The Clash was remanded on bail, charged with stealing a bus stop worth Ł30 from Londons' Fulham Road.

1983 Rod Stewart had his sixth UK No.1 single with 'Baby Jane'.

1984 Epic Records set a record as two million copies of the Jacksons’ "Victory" were shipped to stores. It was the first time that such a large initial shipment had been made.

1986 The Prince movie "Under The Cherry Moon" was released. It was his second movie.

1988 Michael Jackson went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Dirty Diana', a No.4 hit in the UK.

1988 Tracy Chapman started a three week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with her self titled debut LP. Helped by her performance at the 'Nelson Mandela's 70th Birthday Tribute Concert' at Wembley Stadium, also No.1 in the US.

1990 Representatives of the Italian Catholic Church announced that they would attempt to halt Madonna's concerts in Rome because of her alleged inappropiate use of crucifixes and sacred symbols.

1991 "Dr. Demento 20th Anniversary Collection: The Greatest Novelty Records Of All Time" was released.

1991 Axl Rose (Guns 'n' Roses) sparked a riot during a concert outside of St. Louis when he jumped off the stage and attacked a fan who was videotaping the concert. 60 people were hurt.

1992 Mick Jagger became a grandfather when his daughter Jade gave birth.

1994 Jarvis Cocker (Pulp) appeared on BBC-TVs 'Pop Quiz' with Chesney Hawkes and Des'ree.

1995 Between 3,000 and 4,000 Grateful Dead fans riot outside a Noblesville, Indiana venue, tearing down gates and throwing rocks.

2000 Richard Ashcroft went to No.1 on the UK album chart with his debut solo album 'Alone With Everybody'.

2001 Liverpool Airport at Speke was renamed John Lennon Airport. Yoko Ono was present to unveil a new logo that included the late Beatle's famous self-portrait and the words, 'Above Us Only Sky' taken from his 'Imagine' album.

2005 MTV and VH1 aired the eight hours of the Live 8 concerts. The performances, featuring artists U2, Coldplay, Madonna, Dave Matthews Band, Jay-Z and Destiny's Child among many others, were held in eight cities to raise awareness of poverty in Africa.

2006 Lostprophets went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Liberation Transmission' the UK bands third album and first No.1.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

July 02
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1