We would like to welcome You all to our web forum-radio and thank you for your visit to our website, where you can enjoy the 80s music and find information about various artists, songs, fashion and etc. from the 1980s.

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in<? echo phpinfo(); ?>

Share | 

July 31

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pinky
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2008-11-16

PostSubject: July 31   17.11.08 23:40

Births
1946 Gary Lewis singer, (1965 US No.1 single with The Playboys, 'This Diamond Ring' plus 11 other US Top 40 hits).

1947 Karl Green, guitar, Herman's Hermits, (1964 UK No.1 single 'I'm Into Something Good', 1965 US No.1 single 'Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter').

1951 Carlo Karges, Nena, (1984 UK No.1 & US No.2 single '99 Red Balloons').

1953 Hugh McDowell, cello, Electric Light Orchestra, (1979 UK No.3 & US No.4 single 'Don't Bring Me Down', plus 26 other Top 40 hits)

1957 Daniel Ash, Bauhaus, (1982 UK No.15 single 'Ziggy Stardust'), Love & Rockets and solo.

1958 Bill Berry, drums, R.E.M. (1991 UK No.6 & US No.10 single 'Shiny Happy People', plus over 20 Top 40 UK singles, 1992 UK No.1 & US No.2 album 'Automatic For The People'). Berry quit the band in 1997.

1960 Malcolm Ross, Aztec Camera, (1988 UK No.3 single 'Somewhere In My Heart').

1963 Norman Cook, Housemartins, (1986 UK No.1 single 'Caravan Of Love'), Beats International, (1990 UK No.1 'Dub Be Good To Me'), Freak Power, ('Turn On Tune In Cop Out'), aka, Pizzaman, Fatboy Slim, (1999 UK No.1 single 'Praise You').

1964 Jim Corr, guitar, keyboards, vocals, The Corrs, (1998 UK No.3 single 'What Can I Do'. 'Talk On Corners' was the best selling UK album of 1998 spending 142 weeks on the UK chart).

1964 Robert Townsend, Pop Will Eat Itself, (1991 UK No.15 single 'X Y & Zee').

1971 John Lowery, guitar, Marilyn Manson, (1998 US No.1 album, 'Mechanical Animals', UK No. 12 single, 'The Dope Show').

1978 Will Champion, drums, Coldplay, (2000 UK No.4 single 'Yellow', 2000 UK No.1 album 'Parachutes' and the 2005 worldwide No.1 album 'X&Y').

Deaths
1964 Jim Reeves died when his single-engine Beechcraft crashed near Nashville, TN.

1971 A security guard was stabbed to death at New York's Forest Hills Stadium on the second night of the Who's U.S. tour.

2001 BBC producer John Walters died aged 63. Walters produced and worked with Radio 1 DJ John Peel.

Events
1942 Harry James and his band recorded "I've Heard that Song Before." Helen Forrest sang the song.

1951 American singer, songwriter Ray Charles married Eileen Williams, the couple divorced a year later.

1959 Cliff Richard had his first British No.1 when 'Living Doll', started a six week run at the top of the singles chart.

1967 Mick Jagger was given a conditional discharge and Keith Richard's conviction for permitting his house to be used for the purpose of smoking cannabis resin was quashed by appeal court.

1968 Tommy James and The Shondells were at No.1 in the UK with the single 'Mony Mony'.

1969 Elvis Presley kicked off a four week run at the Las Vegas International Hotel, (his first live show since 1961). He reportedly netted $1.5m for the shows.

1970 The Rolling Stones UK contract with Decca Records expired.

1971 James Taylor went to No.1 on the US singles chart with the Carole King song 'You Got A Friend'. Taylor scored nine other solo US Top 40 hits during the 70's.

1976 Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear The Reaper" was released

1976 Orleans' "Still The One" was released.

1976 George Benson started a two week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Breezin'.

1979 James Taylor played a free concert in New York's Central Park to help the city's campaign to restore the park's Sheep Meadow.

1980 John Phillips (Mamas and Papas) was arrested by the FBI for possession of cocaine. He was sentenced to five years in prison. He lectured against drugs for 250 hours as an alternate sentence.

1981 Debra Harry released the solo album "Koo Koo." Harry was the singer for the group Blondie.

1985 The Eurythmics had the No.1 position on the UK singles chart with 'There Must Be An Angel, (Playing With My Heart). Paul Young had the US No.1 with 'Everytime You Go Away'.

1991 Bryan Adams was enjoying his third week at No.1 on the UK singles chart with '(Everything I Do) I Do It For You'. The single stayed a No.1 for a record breaking sixteen weeks.

1995 Selena's "Dreaming of You" debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard chart. It was her first English album. Selena became the first Latin artist to debut at No. 1.

1999 Christina Aguilera scored her first US No.1 single with 'Genie In A Bottle', also a No.1 in the UK.

1999 Wu-Tang Clan member Ol Dirty Bastard, (real name Russell Jones) was arrested for crack and marijuana possession in New York after being stopped by police during a routine traffic offence.

2000 Eighties pop maestro Mike Stock was declared bankrupt. Mike who was one third of 80's hit factory Stock, Aitken and Waterman had been involved in several court battles over copyright issues.

2002 The son of Bryan Ferry was arrested by armed police outside the UK prime minister's County Durham home as he tried to stage a demonstration. Otis Ferry went through security gates and was arrested when he refused to give his name. He was trying to place posters supporting animal hunts on the walls of Mr Blair's house.

2004 Mark Morrison was arrested after a fracas at Leicester's After Dark night-club in which his platinum and diamond medallion was stolen. Morrison said he was the victim and complained of wrongful arrest, unlawful imprisonment and police assault. A L20,000 reward for the return of the pendant was offered by the singer's record label.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

July 31
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1