We would like to welcome You all to our web forum-radio and thank you for your visit to our website, where you can enjoy the 80s music and find information about various artists, songs, fashion and etc. from the 1980s.

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in<? echo phpinfo(); ?>

Share | 

October 22

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pinky
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2008-11-16

PostSubject: October 22   18.11.08 0:33

Births
1939 Ray Jones, bass, Billy J Kramer, (1964 UK No.1 & US N0.7 single 'Little Children'). He died on 20th January 2000.

1943 Bobby Fuller, singer, The Bobby Fuller Four. (1966 US No.9 single 'I Fought The Law' written by Sonny Curtis of Buddy Holly's Crickets). Fuller died on 18th July 1966 mysteriously from gasoline asphyxiation, while parked in a car outside his apartment.

1945 Leslie West, guitar, Mountain, (1970 US No.21 single 'Mississippi Queen'), West Bruce & Laing.

1946 Eddie Brigati, vocals, The Young Rascals, (1967 US No.1 & UK No.8 single 'Groovin').

1956 Stiv Bators, vocals, Dead Boys, Wanderers, Lords Of The New Church.

1968 Shaggy, (Orville Richard Burrell), 1993 UK No.1 single 'Oh Carolina', 2001 UK & US No.1 single 'It Wasn't Me', 2001 UK & US No.1 album 'Hotshot').

1968 US singer, songwriter, Shelby Lynne, (1999 album 'I Am Shelby Lynne'), 2001 Grammy Award winner for Best Newcomer.

1985 Zachary Walker Hanson, Hanson, (1997 UK & US No.1 single 'MMMbop').

Deaths
1958 Jay Perkins, the brother of Carl died from a malignant brain tumour.

1969 Tommy Edwards died aged 47. Had the 1958 US & UK No.1 single 'It's All In The Game'.

1986 Jane Dornacker was killed in a helicopter crash during a live traffic report for WNBC radio in New York. Listeners heard the terrified voice of Dornacker screaming "Hit the water, hit the water" as the helicopter from which she and pilot Bill Pate were reporting, fell from the sky and crashed into the Hudson River. Dornacker had been a member of The Tubes and Leila And The Snakes.

1989 Singer songwriter Ewan MacColl died aged 74, he wrote 'Dirty Old Town' and 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face'.

2003 Elliot Smith, US singer songwriter, committed suicide aged 34. One time member of Stranger Than Fiction, solo 1997 album 'Either/Or'.

Events
1961 Chubby Checker appeared on the "Ed Sullivan Show" and performed "The Twist."

1963 US country singer, Kenny Rogers married for the third time, (at 24 years of age), to Margo Gladys Anderson.

1964 Sandie Shaw had her first UK No.1 single with '(There's), Always Some Thing There To Remind Me'.

1964 The Who failed an audition with EMI. They were known as High Numbers at the time.

1965 "Get Off My Cloud" was released in the U.K. by the Rolling Stones.

1966 The Beach Boys released the single "Good Vibrations."

1966 The Supremes had their first US No.1 album with 'The Supremes a Go Go', knocking The Beatles 'Revolver', from the top of the charts.

1967 The Who kicked off an 11-date UK tour at London's, Saville Theatre.

1973 Phonogram Records announced price increases on albums; standard albums went up from Ł2.00 to Ł2.18 and Deluxe albums went from Ł2.29 to Ł2.38.

1974 "Hotter Than Hell was released by KISS. It was the second album to be released by the band.

1976 Keith Moon performed for the last time with The Who.

1978 Earth, Wind & Fire began a sold-out tour in the U.S. that consisted of 75 dates.

1979 The Pretenders started a run of four consecutive Monday nights at the Marquee Club in London.

1982 Mayor Sara Robertson in Worcester, MA, declared today Van Halen Day in response to local fans collecting 25,000 signatures requesting the band add a second show to their tour.

1983 New York's Metropolitan Opera celebrated its 100th anniversary.

1983 Culture Club went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their second release 'Colour By Numbers.'

1985 During a UK tour R.E.M. appeared at The Octagon Centre, Sheffield, England.

1988 Phil Collins started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Groovy Kind Of Love', his 6th US No.1.

1988 U2 scored their fourth UK No.1 album with the double set and film soundtrack 'Rattle And Hum', featuring their first UK No.1 single 'Desire'.

1990 Pearl Jam played their first ever concert when they appeared at the Off Ramp in Seattle.

1993 Oasis signed a six-album deal with Creation Records for a L40,000 advance.

1996 It was announced that, "The Beatles are now bigger than The Beatles". The statement was based on sales so far this year, having sold 6,000,000 albums from their back catalog and a combined total of 13,000,000 copies of 'The Beatles Anthology 1' and 'The Beatles Anthology 2'. With the release of 'The Beatles Anthology 3' a week away, it was anticipated that total Beatles album sales for 1996 would exceed 20 million. A poll showed 41 percent of sales were to teenagers who were not born when The Beatles officially called it quits in 1970.

1997 MTV Italy launched its first domestically planned and produced Italian-language show, "Sonic."

1997 Italy's antitrust agency, the Guarantor for Competition fined the Italian divisions of BMG, EMI, PolyGram, Sony Music and Warner Music a total of 7.7 billion lire ($4.5 million), with the claim that they had formed a cartel to drown out competition.

1999 It was reported that Sinead O'Connor was attempting to buy the church where she was ordained into the Catholic sisterhood. The church was on the market for Ł70,000.

1999 Suede kicked off a 10 date UK tour at the Brighton Centre, England.

2000 All Saints scored their only No.1 album with their second album 'Saints & Sinners'.

2000 George Michael paid Ł1.45m for the Steinway piano on which John Lennon wrote 'Imagine.' George said, "I know that when my fingers touch the keys of that Steinway, I will feel truly blessed. And parting with my money has never been much of a problem, just ask my accountant." The singer outbid Robbie Williams and The Oasis brothers.

2000 Ja Rule went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Rule 3:36'.

2000 Steps went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Stomp.'

2005 Waterloo by Abba was voted the best song in the history of the Eurovision Song Contest. Viewers in 31 countries across Europe voted during a special show in Copenhagen to celebrate the annual event's 50th birthday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

October 22
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1