We would like to welcome You all to our web forum-radio and thank you for your visit to our website, where you can enjoy the 80s music and find information about various artists, songs, fashion and etc. from the 1980s.

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in<? echo phpinfo(); ?>

Share | 

November 15

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pinky
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2008-11-16

PostSubject: November 15   18.11.08 0:46

Births
1905 Born on this day, Mantovani, Orchestra leader, (1953 UK No.1 single 'Moulin Rouge', 1957 US No. 12 single 'Around The World In Eighty Days'). He died on 30th March 1980.

1928 Born on this day, Bill Fries, (CW McCall), singer, 1976 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Convoy',

1932 Born on this day, Petula Clark, UK singer, (1961 UK No.1 single 'Sailor', 1967 UK No.1 single 'This Is My Song', plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles. 1965 US No.1 'Downtown', the first UK female singer to score a No.1 single in the US).

1933 Born on this day, Clyde McPhatter, The Drifters, 1960 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Save The Last Dance For Me'). Died on 13th June 1972.

1941 Born on this day, Rick Kemp, bass, Steeleye Span, (1975 UK No.5 single 'All Around My Hat').

1945 Born on this day, 1945, Frida Lyngstad, vocals, Abba, (first UK hit 1974 No.1 single 'Waterloo', followed by 8 other UK No.1 singles and 9 UK No.1 albums, 1977 US No.1 single 'Dancing Queen').

1949 Born on this day, Steve Fossen, Heart, (1987 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Alone').

1954 Born on this day, Tony Thompson, Chic, (1978 US No.1 & UK No.7 single 'Le Freak'). Thompson died on 12th November 2003.

1957 Born on this day, Joe Leeway, percussion, Thompson Twins, (1984 UK No.2 single 'You Take Me Up', 1984 US No.3 single, 'Hold Me Now').

1968 Born on this day, Ol' Dirty Bastard (also known as ODB, Dirty, Dirt McGirt, Dirt Dog, Big Baby Jesus, Osirus, Joe Bannanas), born Russell Tyrone Jones. (1997 US & UK No.1 album 'Wu-Tang Forever'). Collapsed and died at a Manhattan recording studio in New York on 13th November 2004 aged 35.

1974 Born on this day, Chad Kroeger, guitar, Nickelback, (2002 US No.1 & UK No. 4 single 'How To Remind You', 2001 US No.2 & 2002 UK No.2 album 'Silver Side Up.' 2002 UK No.4 single with Josey Scott from Saliva, 'Hero').

Deaths
1987 Sound engineer with UB40 Ray Pablo Falconer died in a car crash aged 26.

1991 Jacques Morali, producer, songwriter, who formed The Village People died of complications from aids.

Events
1956 Elvis Presley made his acting debut in the premiere of the "Love Me Tender" movie.

1959 Johnny and the Moondogs, (The Beatles) played in the final heat of the 'TV Star Search' competition at The Hippodrome Theatre, Manchester, England. Judging was done by the volume of applause each group received when it is called back onto stage at the end of the night. Since the Moondogs had no money to stay overnight in Manchester, they were forced to head back to Liverpool before they were called back onto stage.

1964 Rolling Stone Brian Jones was admitted to Passavant Hospital in Chicago with a temperature of 105, causing Jones to miss the last few dates on the Stones current tour.

1965 The Rolling Stones made their debut on NBC-TV's "Hullabaloo" television show. The band performed "Get Off My Cloud."

1969 Janis Joplin was arrested in Tampa, FL on charges of using "vulgar and indecent language" at a concert. All the charges were eventually dropped.

1969 Janis Joplin was arrested during a gig in Tampa, Florida, after badmouthing a policeman and using vulgar and indecent language. Joplin became upset after police moved into the hall forcing fans to move back to their seats. As the singer left the stage she confronted a detective calling him 'a son of a bitch' and told him she would kick his face in. She was released on $504 bail.

1971 In this week's Disc and Music Echo's Progressive album chart: No.5, Cat Stevens, 'Teaser and the Firecat, No.4, Hawkwind, 'In Search Of Space', No.3, Santana 'III', No.2, Rod Stewart, 'Every Picture Tell's A Story' and No.1 John Lennon, 'Imagine.'

1971 Grand Funk Railroad released their sixth album, "E Pluribus Funk."

1975 ABBA were guests on "American Bandstand." They performed "S.O.S." and "I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do."

1978 Echo & the Bunnymen gave their performance debute at Eric's Club in Liverpool, England.

1980 Blondie had their fifth UK No.1 single and third No.1 of this year with 'The Tide Is High' a song written by John Holt, also a No.1 in the US.

1980 Kenny Rogers started a six week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Lady', a song written and produced by Lionel Richie, (it peaked at No.12 in the UK).

1984 R.E.M. played the first date on the bands second UK tour at Tiffany's Ballroom, Newcastle, England.

1986 Pop history was made when the Top 5 UK singles were all by female vocalists; Corinne Drewery from Swing Out Sister, Mel and Kim, Susannah Hoffs from The Bangles, Kim Wilde and Terri Nunn from Berlin who were at No.1 with 'Take My Breath Away.'

1988 Metallica's U.S. tour for "And Justice For All" opened in Toledo, OH, with Queensryche opening.

1990 David Bowie opened on Broadway in the title role of "The Elephant Man."

1990 Frank Farian, producer of Milli Vanilli, publicly admitted that Fabrice Morvan and Rob Pilatus never sang a note on the Milli Vanilli album and that they lip-synch when they perform live.

1992 Ozzy Osbourne performed what he had announced would be his last concert, in Costa Mesa, CA. He did return to live shows.

1997 Metallica's video for "The Memory Remains" premiered on MTV.

1998 U2 went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'The Best Of 1980-1990', the bands seventh UK No.1 album.

2000 Michael Abram, the Liverpool man who stabbed George Harrison after breaking into his home, was awarded a not guilty verdict at Oxford's Crown Court. But the verdict was returned in view of Abrams mental history, and he was taken into care.

2000 Winners at The MTV Europe Awards included All Saints for best pop act, Ricky Martin won best male artist, Madonna won best female artist, Red Hot Chili Peppers won best rock band, Blink 182 won best new act & Jennifer Lopez won best R&B act.

2002 The UK music industry made the decision to include computer downloads as part of the pop singles chart in an attempt to restore credibility to the Top 40. OD2 the online music distributor would compile the new chart with the official chart company.

2003 The city of Augusta, GA, announced that it planned to construct a statue of James Brown and rename a music festival in his honor.

2005 Robbie Williams snubbed a Take That reunion when he decided to stay at his Los Angeles home. A behind the scenes TV documentary had arranged for all five members to reunite to coincide with the release of a greatest hits CD and DVD.

2006 U2 won a court battle over allegedly stolen Bono memororabilia. The items, an iconic Stetson hat, a pair of metal earrings, a green sweat shirt and a pair of black trousers, were in the possession of a former stylist.

2007 Kenneth Donnell, from Glasgow, paid L83,000 for two tickets to see Led Zeppelin rehearse and perform at the O2 arena in London on the 10th December. Donnell bid for the tickets as part of an auction for the BBC's Children in Need.

2007 Jay-Z went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'American Gangster' his 10th No.1 album. This made the rapper joint second with Elvis Presley for the most No.1 albums on the chart; only the Beatles have had more, with 19. Since 1998, all eight of Jay-Z's solo studio albums hade hit No. 1, in addition to his 'Collision Course' project with Linkin Park and his 'Unfinished Business' collaboration with R. Kelly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

November 15
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1