We would like to welcome You all to our web forum-radio and thank you for your visit to our website, where you can enjoy the 80s music and find information about various artists, songs, fashion and etc. from the 1980s.

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in<? echo phpinfo(); ?>

Share | 

November 18

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pinky
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2008-11-16

PostSubject: November 18   18.11.08 7:49

Births
1936 Don Cherry, jazz musician, stepdaughter & father of Neneh and Eagle Eye Cherry. Cherry died on 19th October 1995.

1936 Hank Ballard, US singer, songwriter, (1960 US No.6 single 'Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go', wrote 1960 US No.1 hit for Chubby Checker 'The Twist.'

1941 Con Clusky, The Bachelors, (1964 UK No.1 single 'Diane', plus 16 other UK Top 40 singles).

1949 Herman Rarebell, The Scorpions, (1991 UK No.2 single 'Wind Of Change').

1950 Graham Parker, singer, The Rumour, (1978 UK No.32 single 'Hey Lord Don't Ask Me Questions')

1950 Rudy Sarzo, bass, Whitesnake, (1987 US No.1 & UK No.9 single 'Here I Go Again').

1953 John McFee, guitar, The Doobie Brothers, (1979 US No.1 single 'What A Fool Believes', 1993 UK No.7 single 'Long Train Runnin').

1954 John Parr, (1985 US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'St Elmo's Fire').

1954 Charles Williams, KC and the Sunshine Band, (1975 US No.1 single 'That's The Way, I Like It', 1983 UK No.1 single 'Give It Up').

1960 Kim Wilde, singer, (1981 UK No.2 single 'Kids In America', 1987 US No.1 single 'You Keep Me Hanging On', plus 20 other Top 50 UK singles).

1962 Kirk Hammett, guitar, Metallica, (1991 UK No.5 single 'Enter Sandman', 1991 US & UK No.1 album 'Metallica').

1972 Matt Knight, Toploader, (2000 UK No.7 single 'Dancin In The Moonlight').

Deaths
1971 Blues harmonica player Herman 'Junior' Parker died after a series of brain operations. Parker played on the Ben E King hit 'Stand By Me'.

1972 Danny Whitten, former singer/songwriter for Neil Young's Crazy Horse, died in Los Angeles of a heroin overdose.

1994 Cab Calloway died at the age of 86.

2003 Composer and arranger Michael Kamen died of a heart attack. Worked with Pink Floyd, (The Wall), Metallica, soundtracks to Robin Hood, X-Men, Brazil).

2007 US celebrity publicist Paul Wasserman, died aged 73 of respiratory failure. His clients included the Rolling Stones, The Who, Bob Dylan, Neil Diamond, Paul Simon, Tom Petty and James Taylor. His career ended in 2000, when he was jailed six months for swindling some of his friends by falsely claiming to be selling shares in investment schemes that he said were backed by stars like U2.

Events
1956 Fats Domino appeared on the Ed Sullivan show and performed his hit "Blueberry Hill."

1963 The Beatles received silver LP discs for 'Please Please Me' and 'With the Beatles' at a ceremony held at EMI House in London. They also received a silver EP for 'Twist and Shout' and a silver single for 'She Loves You'. The band then attend a cocktail party and a formal lunch in the EMI boardroom with company executives and invited guests.

1964 The Supremes and The Righteous Brothers appeared on the show "Shindig!"

1965 Aappearing live at the ABC Cinema, Stockton, Cleveland, North East England, Manfred Mann, The Yardbirds and Paul and Barry Ryan.

1970 Jerry Lee Lewis and wife Myra Brown were divorced in Memphis.

1972 Cat Stevens started a three-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Catch Bull At Four'.

1973 Gary Glitter was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I Love You Love Me Love', the singers second No.1.

1975 Born on this day, Ant, P.J. & Duncan, 1994 UK No.9 single, 'Lets Get Ready To Rhumble.' Actor, TV presenter.

1975 Bruce Springsteen made his live debut in the UK at London's Hammersmith Odeon.

1976 Richard Hell and the Voidoids made their debut at CBGB's New York.

1978 Billy Joel went to No.1 on the US album chart with '52nd Street', his first US No.1 album.

1978 This week's UK Top 5 singles: No.5, The Cars, 'My Best Friend's Girl', No.4, Rod Stewart, 'Do You Think I'm Sexy', No.3, Dan Hartman, 'Instant Replay', No.2, Olivia Newton- John, 'Hopelessly Devoted To You' and No.1, The Boomtown Rats, 'Rat Trap' giving the Irish band their first UK No.1 single.

1983 R.E.M. made their first appearance outside the US when they appeared on Channel 4 UK TV show 'The Tube'. The following night they made their live UK debut when the played at Dingwalls, London.

1987 U2 opened for itself by pretending to be a country-rock group called The Dalton Brothers during a concert in Los Angeles.

1988 Phil Collins made his debut on the big screen starring in "Buster" when it opened.

1990 Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall were married in Bali, Indonesia.

1990 The musical revival "Fiddler on the Roof" opened.

1990 Paul McCartney's birth certificate sold for $18,000 in an auction.

1992 Black Sabbath were honoured with a star at the Rock Walk in Hollywood.

1993 Nirvana recorded their MTV unplugged special at Sony Studios, New York.

1993 Pearl Jam singer Eddie Vedder was arrested in New Orleans for disturbing the peace after a fight broke out in a bar.

1995 The Rolling Stones become the first act to broadcast a concert on the Internet.

1995 "Goldeneye" the James Bond movie, opened, featuring a title song by Tina Turner.

1996 The Metallica single "Mama Said" was released.

1997 John Denver's last recording, "The Unplugged Collection," was released in the U.S.

1997 The AC/DC five-CD boxed set, "Bonfire" was released in the U.S.

1999 It was reported that Madonna had saved over L100,000 when buying a new South Kensington home in England after making a private sale and cutting out any estate agents.

2000 Craig David kicked off a 16- date UK tour of the UK at The Pavilions, Plymouth, England.

2001 Blue scored their second UK No.1 single with 'If You Come Back.'

2001 Westlife went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'World Of Our Own'.

2001 ABC aired Britney Spears' first TV concert, "Britney Spears: Live from Las Vegas."

2002 David Gray kicked off an 11 date UK tour at Plymouth Pavilion.

2003 More than five hundred Britney Spears fans camped overnight outside the Virgin Records Megastore in New York's Times Square waiting to get the star to sign copies of her new album 'In The Zone.'

2003 Following allegations of sexual abuse of a 12-year old boy, police raided Michael Jackson's Neverland ranch. Jackson denied the allegations, the search came on the day that his latest greatest hits album, 'Number Ones' was released in the US.

2005 A Belgian songwriter won a plagiarism case against Madonna over her 1998 hit single 'Frozen.' Salvatore Acquaviva claimed that the song copied one of his recordings, the judge agreed that Madonna's single used four bars of his song 'Ma Vie Fout L'camp', which roughly translates as 'My Life's Getting Nowhere.'

2005 "Walk the Line" opened in theaters. The film focused on the early years of Johnny Cash.

2007 22-year-old X Factor winner Leona Lewis set a British record for the fastest-selling debut album with Spirit. The singer sold more than 375,000 copies in seven days, 12,000 more than the Arctic Monkeys' 2006 release Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not. Oasis still had the overall record for the fastest selling British album, selling 813,000 copies in 1997.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

November 18
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1