We would like to welcome You all to our web forum-radio and thank you for your visit to our website, where you can enjoy the 80s music and find information about various artists, songs, fashion and etc. from the 1980s.

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in<? echo phpinfo(); ?>

Share | 

December 15

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pinky
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2008-11-16

PostSubject: December 15   15.12.08 8:05

Births
1919 Max Yasgur, owner of the Woodstock farm where the 1969 festival was held. Yasgur died of a heart attack on 8th February 1973 aged 53.

1922 Alan Freed, American DJ. The man who gave 'Rock 'n' Roll' its name. Died 20th January 1965.

1938 Jerry Wallace, US singer, (1959 US No.8 single 'Primrose Lane').

1939 Cindy Birdsong, The Supremes, (joined in 1967, 1969 UK No.3 single 'I'm Gonna make You Love Me'). Labelle, (1975 US No.1 & UK No.17, single 'Lady Marmalade').

1942 Dave Clark, Dave Clark Five, (1964 UK No.1 single 'Glad All Over', 1965 US No.1 single 'Over And Over', plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles).

1946 Harry Ray, Moments, (1970 US No.3 single 'Love On A Two-Way Street', 1975 UK No.3 single 'Girls').

1946 Carmine Appice, drummer, Vanilla Fudge, (1968 US No.6 single 'You Keep Me Hangin' On'). Also a member of Beck, Bogart and Appice and the Rod Stewart band.

1949 Don Johnson, actor, singer, (Miami Vice), (1986 US No.5 & UK No.46 single, 'Heartbeat').

1955 Paul Simonon, bass, The Clash, (1979 UK No. 11 single 'London Calling', 1982 US No. 8 single 'Rock The Casbah', 1991 UK No.1 single 'Should I Stay Or Should I Go', first released 1982, plus 15 other UK Top 40 singles).

1961 Nick Beggs, bass, Kajagoogoo, (1983 UK No.1 single 'Too Shy'), also a member of the Howard Jones band.

1979 Edele Lynch and Keavy Lynch, singers, B*Witched, (1998 UK No.1 single 'C'est La Vie').

1980 Sergio Pizzorno, guitar, vocals, Kasabian, (2005 UK No.8 single 'Cutt Off', 2006 UK No.1 album 'Empire').

Deaths
1943 Jazz musician, singer and composer, Fats Waller died. Wrote 'Ain't Misbehavin', 'Your Feet's Too Big', 'The Reefer Song'.

1944 A single-engine plane carrying U.S. Army Major Glenn Miller disappeared in thick fog over the English Channel while en route to Paris. The true fate of the plane and its passengers has never been determined.

2001 Rufus Thomas died, 1963, US No.10 single 'Walking The Dog', 1970 UK No.18 & US No.28 single 'Do The Funky Chicken'.

2006 The co-founder of Atlantic Records Ahmet Ertegun died, aged 83. Ertegun who founded Atlantic Records with Herb Abramson in 1947 helped make Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin stars and signed the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin in the early 70s. He suffered a head injury when he fell at a Rolling Stones concert at New York's Beacon Theatre in October, and died after slipping into a coma.

Events
1944 Hank Williams married Audrey Guy. The ceremony took place at a filling station.

1959 The Everly Brothers recorded "Let It Be Me" in New York City. It was the first time they recorded outside of Nashville and it was the first time they recorded with strings.

1962 Bill Wyman made his live debut with The Rolling Stones at Putney Youth Club, London.

1962 The Beatles played two separate shows at the same venue, the Majestic Ballroom in Birkenhead, Merseyside. First they played a standard Majestic booking then at midnight, the first-ever "Mersey Beat" poll awards show took place. As poll winners, The Beatles closed the show (at 4:00 am).

1967 The Beach Boys met Maharishi Yogi in Paris and learned transcendental meditation.

1968 Grace Slick appeared in blackface when Jefferson Airplane appeared on the "Smothers Brothers" TV show on CBS.

1969 John Lennon gave his last live performance in England. It was a UNICEF benefit in London.

1972 Appearing at Cardiff High School, Wales, Supertramp.

1973 Jermaine Jackson from The Jackson Five married the daughter of the boss of Motown Records, Hazel Gordy.

1973 Charlie Rich started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'The Most Beautiful Girl', the singers only No.1 single, a No.2 hit in the UK.

1973 David Cassidy went to No.1 on the UK album chart with his third solo album 'Dreams Are Nothin More Than Wishes.'

1975 Appearing live at London's Royal Albert Hall, England, Cat Stevens.

1977 The *** Pistols were refused entry into the USA two days before a scheduled NBC TV appearance. Johnny Rotten because of a drugs conviction, Paul Cook & Sid Vicious because of 'moral turpitude' and Steve Jones because of his criminal record.

1977 The *** Pistols were denied visas to enter the U.S. only two days before they are to appear on NBC's "Saturday Night Live."

1979 Appearing at the Windsor Castle Pub, Harrow Road, London, U2, admission was free.

1979 Pink Floyd started a five week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Another Brick In The Wall, (part 2).'

1979 Released on the Anti- Pop label, a 28- minute mini- album priced at Ł2.50 by Wavis O'Shave, titled 'Anna Ford's Bum'. (Anna was a TV newsreader).

1984 Do They Know Its Christmas' by Band Aid entered the chart at No.1 and stayed at the top of the charts for five weeks. It became the biggest selling UK single of all time with sales over 3 and a half million. Band Aid was masterminded by former Boomtown Rats singer Bob Geldof, who had been moved by a TV news story of famine in Ethiopia. Geldof had the idea of raising funds with a one-off charity single featuring the cream of the current pop world.

1988 Appearing at The Borderline, London, The Sugarcubes.

1988 Soul singer James Brown was sentenced to six years in prison for various offences including possession of weapons and resisting arrest.

1988 James Brown was sentenced to a six-year jail term for leading police on a late-night, two-state car chase. He was released on February 27, 1991.

1989 Appearing at Winnington Rec, Northwich, Cheshire, England, The Charlatans.

1990 Rod Stewart married New Zealand model Rachel Hunter in Beverly Hills. Stewart was quoted as saying 'I Found the Girl that I Want, I won't be putting my banana in anybody's fruit bowl from now on'. They split in 1999.

1990 Abba singer Agnetha Faltskog married Swedish surgeon Tomas Sonnenfeld.

1991 The musical "Nick and Nora" closed after 9 performances.

1992 Nirvana released "Incesticide," a collection of b-sides and rarities.

1994 Bon Jovi guitarist Richie Sambora married actress Heather Locklear. The couple divorced in 2006.

1997 'Spice World The Movie', featuring The Spice Girls premiered at The Empire, Leicester Sq, London. The following year it was nominated for the 'worst film' at the Golden Raspberry Awards.

1997 The surviving members INXS released a tape of an interview in which they talk about the life and death of the group's late vocalist Michael Hutchence. The band members had been reluctant to give interviews until this release.

1998 Andrew Lloyd Webber was acquitted on charges that he plagiarized a 20-year-old song to write the theme from "The Phantom Of The Opera."

1998 Backstreet Boys roadie Michael Barrett filed a $3 million lawsuit against the group claiming damages after a 50-pound cannon fell on his head during a show.

1999 Boy George was knocked unconscious when a mirror ball fell on his head during a show in Dorset, England.

1999 Former *** Pistols manager Malcolm McLaren announced that he was running for the Mayor of London. He said he would be campaigning for brothels, pot shops and boozing in libraries. "I changed London with the *** Pistols, I can change London as Mayor."

1999 Posh Spice Victoria Beckham knocked a crazed fan to the ground after he tried to grab her baby son Brooklyn as she left Harrods in London.

1999 Garth Brooks said on TNN's "Crook & Chase" show that he planned to keep an "extremely low" profile in 2000 and that he would "probably" announce his retirement at the end of the year.

2000 TV and radio star Zoe Ball gave birth to an eight and a half pound baby boy named Woody. Her husband Norman Cook (Fatboy Slim), was present at the birth.

2002 Blue featuring Elton John went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word.' Previously a No.11 hit for Elton in 1976.

2003 Courtney Love was sentenced to 18 months in drug rehabilitation after she admitted being under the influence of cocaine and opiates. She was banned from taking non-prescription drugs, drinking alcohol or being in places that serve alcohol.

2004 A Detroit studio where Eminem recorded 'My Name Is' went up for auction on the website eBay. Studio 8, in the Detroit suburb of Ferndale was to be listed in eBay's commercial property section for 30 days, with a minimum bid is $215,000.

2005 U2 had the top-grossing tour of 2005, according to an end-of-year chart compiled by US magazine Billboard. More than three million people watched the band's sell-out 90-date Vertigo tour which grossed $260m. The Eagles, took $117m from 77 shows and Neil Diamond grossed more than $71m. Kenny Chesney was fourth with $63m, Paul McCartney $60m, Rod Stewart with $49m, Elton John with $45.5m, Dave Matthews Band with $45m, Jimmy Buffett with $41m and Green Day with $36.5m.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

December 15
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1