We would like to welcome You all to our web forum-radio and thank you for your visit to our website, where you can enjoy the 80s music and find information about various artists, songs, fashion and etc. from the 1980s.

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in<? echo phpinfo(); ?>

Share | 

Januar 29

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pinky
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2008-11-16

PostSubject: Januar 29   29.01.09 19:27

Births
1889 Leadbelly, (Hurrdi William Ledbetter), Blues musician, Wrote 'Goodnight Irene', 'The Rock Island Line', 'The Midnight Special,' once jailed for shooting a man dead during an argument over a woman. Died 6th December 1949.

1929 Bernard Stanley Bilk, (Acker Bilk), bandleader, (1962 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Stranger On The Shore').

1933 French singer and guitarist Sacha Distel. 1970 UK No.10 single 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head.' Died after a long battle with deteriorating health on 22nd July 2004.

1938 James Jamerson, bass played, The Funk Brothers, died of a heart attack 2nd August 1983 aged 45. Played on many Motown hits by The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, The Four Tops, Martha And The Vandellas.

1943 Tony Blackburn, DJ on Radio Caroline and the first D.J. on BBC Radio One. (The first song played was 'Flowers In The Rain by The Move'). Blackburn was crowned 'King of the jungle' in 2003 after winning on the UK TV show 'I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here' set in the Australian outback.

1943 Mark Wynter, UK singer, (1962 UK No.4 single 'Venus In Blue Jeans').

1944 Andrew Loog Oldham, the first Rolling Stones manager.

1947 David Byron, vocals, Uriah Heep, (1975 UK No.7 album 'Return To Fantasy'). Byron died on 28th February 1985.

1952 Thomas Erdelyi, (Tommy Ramone), drums, The Ramones, (1977 UK No.22 single 'Sheena Is A Punk Rocker').

1953 Louie Perez, Los Lobos, (1987 UK & US No.1 single 'La Bamba').

1954 Rob Manzoli, Right Said Fred, (1991 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'I'm Too Sexy', 1993 UK No.1 album 'Up').

1961 Dave Baynton-Power, drums, James, (1991 UK No.2 single 'Sit Down').

1961 Eddie Jackson, Queensryche, (1992 UK No.18 single 'Silent Lucidity').

1961 Pauline Henry, singer. (1993 UK solo No.12 single with Bad Company song 'Feel Like Making Love', 1990 UK No.6 single with The Chimes, 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For').

1962 Marcus Verne, Living In A Box, (1987 UK No.5 single 'Living In A Box').

1964 Roddy Frame, guitarist, singer, songwriter, Aztec Camera, (1988 UK No.3 single 'Somewhere In My Heart').

1968 Richard Battersby, drums, The Wildhearts, (1996 UK No.14 single 'Sick Of Drugs').

Deaths
1992 Willie Dixon, blues singer and guitarist died. Wrote the classic songs: 'You Shook Me', I Can't Quit You Baby', 'Little Red Rooster.' Dixon was a major influence on The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin.

Events
1937 Tommy Dorsey and his orchestra recorded the famous "Song of "India".

1942 BBC radio aired a new program 'Desert Island Discs' presented by Roy Plomley, which went on to become the longest running UK radio show.

1962 Warner Bros. Records signed Peter, Paul & Mary.

1966 The Bobby Fuller Four's "I Fought The Law" was released.

1967 Jimi Hendrix and The Who gave a tribute concert to the Beatles late manager, Brian Epstein.

1968 During a tour of Australia and New Zealand, The Who, The Small Faces and Paul Jones appeared at the Town Hall, Wellington in New Zealand.

1969 Fleetwood Mac had their only UK No.1 single with the instrumental 'Albatross.'

1969 The "Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour" debuted on CBS-TV.

1972 Smokey Robinson left The Miracles.

1972 The triple album 'The Concert For Bangla Desh' went to No.1 on the UK album chart. Organised by George Harrison to raise funds for the people caught up in the war and famine from the area. The set featured; Bob Dylan, Ringo Starr, Billy Preston, Eric Clapton, Ravi Shankar and members from Badfinger.

1977 Gwen Dickey former backing band for The Temptations, went to No.1 on the US singles chart as Rose Royce with 'Car Wash', a No.9 hit in the UK.

1979 16-year-old Brenda Spencer killed two people and wounded nine others when she fired from her house across the street onto the entrance of San Diego's Grover Cleveland Elementary School. Spencer fired the shot's from a .22-caliber rifle her father had given her for Christmas. When asked why she did it, she answered "I don't like Mondays." The Boomtown Rats went on to write and recorded a song based on the event.

1979 Emerson, Lake & Palmer disbanded.

1980 Gigs around the UK; The Clash appeared at St Georges Hall, Bradford, The Pretenders appeared at The Locarno, Portsmouth and Dexy's Midnight Runners appeared at The City Hall, Perth, Scotland.

1982 Shakin' Stevens was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Oh Julie', the singers third UK No.1.

1982 Flying Back from Cannes, France, Gary Numan made a forced landing after running low on fuel at an RAF base outside Southampton, the press ran stories that he had in fact crash landed on the A3057.

1983 Australian group Men At Work went to No.1 on the British and American singles and album charts simultaneously with 'Down Under' and 'Business As Usual'. The last artist to achieve this was Rod Stewart in 1971.

1983 Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac married Kim Anderson at her Los Angeles home. They were divorced the following year.

1989 Billy Joel sang the U.S. national anthem at Super Bowl XXIII.

1989 Marc Almond started a four-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart' with guest vocals from Gene Pitney.

1990 Touring the UK; Faith No More appeared at Edinburgh Network, The Psychedelic Furs and The Fat Lady Sings appeared at Liverpool's Royal Court and Erasure appeared at London Dockland's Arena.

1994 Mary Wilson, formerly with the Supremes, was injured when her jeep hit a freeway median and flipped over while driving outside of Los Angeles. Her 14-year old son was killed in the accident.

1996 Garth Brooks refused to accept his American Music Award for Favorite Overall Artist. Brooks said that Hootie and the Blowfish had done more for music that year than he did.

1996 George Michael had the UK No.1 single with 'Jesus To A Child', the singers sixth UK No.1 as a solo artist.

1998 Paul Simon's musical "The Capeman" premiered in New York. The show opened three weeks behind schedule and to universally poor reviews.

2001 A New York based data company issued a chart listing sales of posthumous albums. The idea came about after radio stations wanted to distinguish between proper recordings when the artists were alive and CD's released after they died. Mike Shalett founder of SoundScan said there was only one problem. What to call the chart. The Top 5 chart had The Doors at No.5, Eva Cassidy at 4, Jimi Hendrix at 3, Bob Marley at 2 and 2Pac at No.1.

2002 Dream Theater's album "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" was released.

2002 Madonna and her daughter, Lourdes, went to the opening of an exhibition by fashion photographer Mario Testino at the National Portrait Gallery in London.

2006 Arctic Monkeys went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their debut album 'Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not'. The Sheffield-based bands album became the fastest-selling debut in chart history after shifting more than 360,000 copies in its first week of release.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Januar 29
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
80s-RADIOmusic ::  80s MISCELLANEOUS :: TODAY IN MUSIC-
Jump to: