We would like to welcome You all to our web forum-radio and thank you for your visit to our website, where you can enjoy the 80s music and find information about various artists, songs, fashion and etc. from the 1980s.

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in<? echo phpinfo(); ?>

Share | 

Februar 11

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pinky
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2008-11-16

PostSubject: Februar 11   11.02.09 7:54

Births
1935 Gene Vincent, (born Eugene Craddock), US rock 'n' roll singer with His Blue Caps who had a 1956 US No.7 & UK No.16 single with 'Be Bop A Lula'. He died on October 12th 1971.

1939 Gerry Goffin, (songwriter of over 20 US hits with Carol King, including The Shirelles 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow', The Drifters 'Up On The Roof', The Chiffons, 'One Fine Day', Herman's Hermits, 'I'm Into Something Good').

1940 Bobby 'Boris' Pickett, (1962 US No.1 & 1973 UK No.3 single 'The Monster Mash').

1941 Sergio Mendes, Brazilian singer, (1983 US No.4 & UK No.45 single 'Never Got Let You Go').

1946 Ray Lake, The Real Thing, (1976 UK No.1 single 'You To Me Are Everything').

1950 Rochelle Fleming, singer, First Choice, (1973 UK No.9 single 'Smarty Pants).

1953 Alan Rubin, The Blues Brothers, (1990 UK No.12 single 'Everybody Needs Somebody To Love').

1953 Neil Henderson, Middle Of The Road, (1971 UK No.1 single 'Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep').

1963 Sheryl Crow, US singer, songwriter, (1994 US No.2 & UK No.4 single 'All I Wanna Do', 1993 album 'Tuesday Night Music Club'). Worked as a backing singer on the Michael Jackson 'Bad' tour.

1969 Andrew Lovell, percussion, M People, (1993 UK No.2 single 'Moving On Up', plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles).

1974 D'Angelo, (Michael Archer), 1996 UK No. 21 single 'Lady'.

1977 Mike Shinoda, guitar, vocals, Linkin Park, (2002 US No.2 & UK No.4 single 'In The End', 2002 US No.2 & 2001 UK No.4 album 'Hybrid Theory').

1979 Brandy, singer, (1998 US No.1 and UK No.2 single with Monica, 'The Boy Is Mine').

1981 Kelly Rowland, Destiny's Child (2000 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Say My Name', 2001 US & UK No.1 single & album 'Survivor', solo 2003 UK No.2 single 'Stole', 2002 US & UK No.1 single with Nelly 'Dilemma').

1984 Aubrey O'Day, singer, Danity Kane, (formed on the MTV reality show Making the Band 3). 2006 US No.1 self-titled album.

Deaths
1999 Jaki Byard was found fatally shot at his home. He was 76.

Events
1956 Elvis Presley appeared on American TV's 'Stage Show' and performed 'Heartbreak Hotel' and 'Blue Suede Shoes.'

1958 Michael Holliday was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Story Of My Life.' The song gave writers Bacharach and David their first UK No.1 hit.

1963 In less then ten hours, The Beatles record ten new songs for their first album plus four other tracks which would be the next two singles. John Lennon's vocal on The Isley Brothers 'Twist & Shout' was recorded in one take to complete the album.

1964 The Beatles made their live concert debut in the US at the Washington Coliseum. Over 350 police surrounded the stage to keep the 8,000 plus screaming fans in control. One police officer who found the noise so loud, stuck a bullet in each ear as ear plugs. The Beatles had to stop three times and turn Ringo's drum kit around and re-position their microphones so that they faced a different part of the audience. The set list: 'Roll Over Beethoven', 'From Me to You', 'I Saw Her Standing There', 'This Boy', 'All My Loving', 'I Wanna Be Your Man', 'Please Please Me', 'Till There Was You', 'She Loves You', 'I Want to Hold Your Hand', 'Twist and Shout', and 'Long Tall Sally'.

1965 Ringo Starr and Maureen Cox were married. They divorced in 1975.

1966 Cher recorded "Bang Bang."

1967 The Monkees announced that they would be playing all the instruments on all future recordings.

1969 The Monkees set a new record when their second album, 'More Of The Monkees' jumped from No.122 to the top of the US chart. The album then stayed in pole position for eighteen weeks.

1970 The film "The Magic Christian," featuring Ringo Starr debuted in New York City.

1970 John Lennon paid 1,344 pounds in fines for protesting the South African rugby team playing in Scotland.

1972 David Bowie performed as "Ziggy Stardust" for the first time.

1973 A local charity raised over Ł500 ($850) selling bedsheets and pillowcases used by the Rolling Stones after a show at Western Springs Stadium in Auckland, New Zealand.

1978 The Brotherhood Of Man were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Figaro', the groups third UK No.1.

1979 The TV movie "Elvis," with Kurt Russell, aired on ABC.

1982 U2 kicked off a 32 date north American tour in New Orleans.

1983 The Rolling Stones concert film "Let's Spend the Night Together" opened in New York.

1985 The Police won Outstanding Contribution to British music at the fourth annual Brit Awards held in London. Other winners included Prince for best International Act and Best Soundtrack for Purple Rain, British Single was Frankie Goes To Hollywood 'Relax', British Video was Duran Duran for 'Wild Boys', British Comedy Recording Neil 'Hole In My Shoe', British Album went to Sade for 'Diamond Life', British Male Solo Artist was won by Paul Young, British Female Solo Artist, Alison Moyet and Best British Group went to Wham!

1986 Boy George guest-stared on an episode of "The A-Team."

1986 The single "Superbowl Shuffle" by the Chicago Bears Shufflin' Crew was certified gold by the RIAA.

1987 The Smiths were at No.1 in the UK indie charts with 'Shoplifters Of The World Unite.'

1989 Sade married music video producer Carlos Scola.

1989 A-Ha singer Morten Harket married Swedish actress Camilla Malmquist.

1989 New Order scored their first UK No.1 album with 'Technique.'

1989 Paula Abdul started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Straight Up', the first of three No.1's in 1989, a No.3 hit in the UK.

1992 Motley Crue fired their singer Vince Neil when he turned up for rehearsals, claiming that he had lost his passion for the band and was now more involved with racing cars.

1994 Prince premiered his song "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" on the 1994 Miss USA Pageant.

1995 Celine Dion held the UK No.1 singles position for the second of seven weeks with 'Think Twice.'

1998 The hand-written lyrics to 'Candle in the Wind' by Bernie Taupin were auctioned off at Christie's in LA for Ł278,512.

2000 Spice Girl Geri Halliwell appeared in court to give evidence over the dispute with Aprilla Motorcycles. The company were suing the Spice Girls for L1.6 million ($2.72 million) over lost advertising as sponsors for the 1998 Spiceworld World tour.

2001 Dido started a five-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'No Angel.'

2001 Outkast went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Mrs Jackson', a No.2 hit in the UK.

2001 Shaggy started a four-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Hotspot.'

2003 The British Phonographic Industry reported its biggest sales decline in decades, with the biggest slump in a single year since the birth of the CD market in the early 1980s. Piracy, illegal duplication and distribution by international criminals of CD's were all blamed for the decrease.

2006 Il Divo went to No.1 on the US album chart with their second album 'Ancora.'

2007 Mika went to No.1 on the UK album chart with his debut album 'Life In Cartoon Motion.' Pretty Ricky were at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Late Night Special' the American R&B & hip-hop group's second album and first No.1.

2008 Heather Mills and Sir Paul McCartney appeared at the High Court in London for a hearing to reach a financial settlement for their divorce. The hearing in the Family Division, which was taking place in private, was expected to last five days. The couple, who had a four-year-old daughter, Beatrice, announced the end of their four-year marriage in 2006. There had been speculation among divorce experts, based on recent cases, that the settlement could reach L60m.

2008 Jack Johnson started a five-week run at No.1 on the Australian album chart with 'Sleep Through The Static.'
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Februar 11
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
80s-RADIOmusic ::  80s MISCELLANEOUS :: TODAY IN MUSIC-
Jump to: